At IRRI I visited field experiments conducted with a GWAS panel of 230 aus accessions grown under multiple stresses: P deficiency x drought and P deficiency x N deficiency. I did some phenotyping at the late tillering stage, scoring tiller number and biomass and identified some potential donors that we will import into Japan and Madagascar for further studies. In addition, we prepared a second field experiment to be conducted under drought conditions with 38 rice lines of a QTL mapping population sent from JIRCAS to IRRI earlier this year.
Together with a collaborator from a former GRiSP project we completed a manuscript on seedling root vigor. I further prepared for the upcoming training in the usage of the updated versions of SNPSeek and the IRRI GALAXY resource in order to improve our GWAS and allele mining capacity. And I discussed how to improve the presentation of the rice sequences we made publicly available with IRRI in their SNPSeek database. Throughout my visit I held meetings with IRRI scientist to learn more about their new roles after the major restructuring IRRI is currently conducting. One conclusion is that we should work more closely with IRRI regional offices like those in East Africa (Nairobi) and for South-East Asia (Bangkok).