591. JIRCAS Affiliated Researcher SAITO Kazuki Receives 7th Niigata International Food Award 21st Century Hope Prize
The winners of the 7th Niigata International Food Award, which is given to individuals who have devoted themselves to solving problems in the fields of food and agriculture, were announced on July 28, 2022. Among the five awardees this year, Dr. SAITO Kazuki, an affiliated researcher at JIRCAS, received the 21st Century Hope Prize.
As stated in the award citation, Dr. Saito has contributed greatly to rice breeding projects in Africa by discovering new breeding stock, developing selection methods, and conducting other research to improve food self-sufficiency in Africa. He has also achieved significant success in developing and consolidating rice farming systems for small farmers, and improving their livelihoods and nutrition.
Dr. Saito is an affiliated researcher at JIRCAS since 2017. He is currently a principal scientist at the Africa Rice Center. His current main research interests include the assessment of yield gap and sustainability, and the development of fertilizer management technologies and rice cultivation decision support tools.
Congratulations, Dr. Saito!
Contributor: IIYAMA Miyuki (Director, Information Program)
- 871. African Food Systems
- 870. JIRCAS International Symposium 2023 “Innovations to enhance the resilience of tropical forests and sustainability of the forest industry”
- 869. Revisiting the Mitigation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Paddy Fields
- 868. The 4th International Day of Awareness on Food Loss and Waste
- 867. JIRCAS Joins Global Festa Japan 2023 - International Cooperation to Build the World