375. STI for Food Systems Transformation
2021 is the year in which food systems transformation as a global agenda has attracted special attention with the upcoming of the UN Food Systems Summit and the Tokyo Nutrition for Growth Summit. With these opportunities in mind, the Advisory Board for Promoting Science and Technology Diplomacy to the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan compiled the recommendation, Planetary health: STI for food systems transformation.
The recommendations showcase the strengths of Japan’s STI in implementing the food systems transformation which can enable to solve food and nutrition insecurity while enhancing the resilience of the Earth.
The STI showcase includes eight technologies which have been developed by JIRCAS and are ready for application on ground in the developing countries of Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- Life cycle GHG emission reduction by alternate wetting and drying (AWD) irrigation technique in rice paddies
- Production technology of phosphorus fertilizer utilizing low grade phosphate rock
- Value added technology of old oil palm trunk (OPT)
- Mitigation of methane emission from Vietnamese local cattle (Lai Sind) by cashew nut shell liquid (CNSL) feeding
- IoT solution for agriculture
- Rice production technologies to improve nutrient use efficiency
- Genome breeding (disease-tolerant soy)
- Development of sustainable production technology for quinoa
The above technologies have evidence that they can simultaneously achieve environmental sustainability and food security by improving agricultural productivity in developing countries while minimizing environmental footprints through efficient resource uses. These traits correspond to the concept of Japan’s Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries’ MeaDRI strategy. At the same time, ‘No One-Size-Fits-All’. These technology portfolios need to be adopted and customized to local agroecological and socioeconomic contexts. UNFSS and N4G Summits can provide a great opportunity for Japan to showcase its STI’s strength in contributing to solving global agendas and achieving SDGs.
Press Release: A Courtesy Call on Mr. WASHIO Eiichiro, State Minister for Foreign Affairs, by Prof. MATSUMOTO Yoichiro, Science and Technology Advisor to the Minister for Foreign Affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/press/release/press6e_000325.html
Summary of the Recommendations "Planetary health: STI for food systems transformation"
Contributor: IIYAMA Miyuki (Director, Information Program)
- 740. International Day of Forests 2023 ーForests and Health
- 739. Cereal Supply and Demand and Ukraine's Production and Export Trends
- 738. The Future of International Cooperation on Food and Fertilizer Exports from the Black Sea Region
- 737. Measures Against Extreme Weather Disasters～Leave No One Behind～
- 736. Rising Cases of Diabetes and Obesity Worldwide