As part of the 338th Easy Science and Technology Seminar organized by the Japan Prize Foundation, a video featuring a research project in Madagascar in which Dr. NISHIGAKI Tomohiro, Researcher in the Crop, Livestock and Environment Division of JIRCAS, is participating has been released in the Foundation’s website and YouTube.
The Madagascar project is an interdisciplinary research project supported by the Heisei Memorial Research Grant from the Japan Prize Foundation and jointly conducted by researchers from JIRCAS and Kyoto University with the aim of establishing watershed management that can achieve sustainable agricultural production and tropical forest conservation in Madagascar, known as a hotspot of biodiversity.
Dr. Nishigaki is working on the project from the viewpoint of his expertise in soil science to elucidate the properties of soils that support tropical forests in northwestern Madagascar and to establish a sustainable management of the soils and forests.
The video can be viewed on the website of the Japan Prize Foundation and on YouTube.
- 338th Easy Science and Technology Seminar
- Conservation of tropical forests - Protecting the nature and the livelihood of Madagascar
https://youtu.be/1G_fm2wDDaI (Dr. Nishigaki appears at about 38:50)
- 671. World Soil Day 2022
- Information Page on Agricultural Research in Africa
- Report on TICAD8 Side-Event “Healthy Soils for Food Security in Africa: The Potential of Regenerative Agriculture”
- Report on TICAD 8 Side Event “Managing African Soil for Food Security and Environmental Sustainability”