Two proposals from JIRCAS have been provisionally selected* for FY 2021 SATREPS (Science and Technology Research Partnership for Sustainable Development) project, which is a collaboration between the Japan Science Technology Agency (JST) and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) supported by MEXT and MOFA.
* Before formally starting a project, an international agreement needs to be concluded. The selection of the new SATREPS projects at this stage is considered to be provisional selection.
1. The Project for Strengthening Tropical Forest Resilience Based on Management and Utilization of Genetic Resources Capable of Climate Change Adaptation (Environment and Energy)
- PI: TANI Naoki, Senior Researcher, Forestry Division
- Counterpart: Gadjah Mada University, Republic of Indonesia
2. The Project for Establishment of Nitrogen-efficient Wheat Production Systems in Indo-Gangetic Plains by the Deployment of BNI-technology (Bioresources)
- PI: TOBITA Satoshi, Specially Assigned Investigator
- Counterpart: Borlaug Institute for South Asia (BISA), India
SATREPS is a science and technology diplomacy initiative that promotes international collaborative research using science and technology from Japan, based on the needs of developing countries targeting global issues. JIRCAS will continue to contribute international community to achieve SDGs through SATREPS projects including provisionally selected 2 projects.