Japan (Japanese: 日本, Nippon or Nihon, and formally 日本国) is an island country in East Asia. It is situated in the northwest Pacific Ocean, and is bordered on the west by the Sea of Japan, while extending from the Sea of Okhotsk in the north toward the East China Sea and Taiwan in the south. Japan is a part of the Ring of Fire, and spans an archipelago of 6852 islands covering 377,975 square kilometers (145,937 sq mi); the five main islands are Hokkaido, Honshu (the "mainland"), Shikoku, Kyushu, and Okinawa. Tokyo is the nation's capital and largest city; other major cities include Yokohama, Osaka, Nagoya, Sapporo, Fukuoka, Kobe, and Kyoto.(Source: DBpedia)
Event Co-hosted by KAKENHI Integrated Sciences for Sustainable Human-Aqua Environment Project and JIRCAS Supported by Ishigaki City Explores the Future of Ishigaki Island
Organized by KAKENHI Integrated Sciences for Sustainable Human-Aqua Environment Project and JIRCAS under the cooperation of Ishigaki City, a workshop was held to discuss the future of Ishigaki Island. Participants were invited from sectors in agriculture, environment, tourism, education, and high school students in Ishigaki City. A following public seminar presented various research efforts focusing on the water cycle and the result of the workshop. Many thanks to those who participated in the workshop and the seminar!!
Report of the Seminar on "The Forefront of Agricultural Research for the Promotion of Resource Recycling in Ishigaki” Now Available
A report on the seminar "The Forefront of Agricultural Research or the Promotion of Resource Recycling in Ishigaki” jointly hosted by JIRCAS and Ishigaki City is now available. The page also includes answers to questions received on the day of the seminar regarding the nitrogen cycle, fertilizer application methods, sugarcane cultivation, and earthworms in the soil.
- Pick UpThe Symposium “Fruits and Vegetables - Research and Opportunities for Human and Planetary Health” was successfully held online yesterday, December 6th. In the next two days starting today, the Tokyo Nutrition for Growth Summit (N4G) 2021 will be held under the auspices of the Japanese Government. JIRCAS researchers will give presentations at 2 sessions of the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF) side event, Thematic Session 2: Toward Sustainable Solutions to Nutrition Issues through Food – Food is Local, Wisdom is Global, and the Presentation Session of Stakeholders.
- Pick Up
For Japanese people, plant changes such as the blooming of cherry blossoms serve as barometer to feel a sense of the four seasons. But how does climate change affect the four seasons? In the 1950s, the four seasons in the Northern Hemisphere occurred in a predictable and even pattern each year. However, climate change is causing significant deviations to the length and start dates of each season. A paper published in Geophysical Research Letters states that by 2100, summers could be extremely long and winters short in the Northern Hemisphere if climate change measures were not adequately addressed, and it could have a big impact on, people's health and the environment including agriculture.
- Pick Up
In April 2020, Ipsos MORI, a market research company in the United Kingdom released a survey on how the public in selected countries view the two major crisis, COVID-19 and climate change. Compared with other countries in the world, Japan regarded climate change as a serious crisis equivalent to COVID-19 and as a policy priority, and perceived that economic recovery by COVID-19 should not have a negative impact on the environment. In turn, Japan seems less interested in making climate change as political agendas.
- Pick Up
Ishigaki Island, which has been attracting attention as a tourist destination in the world in recent years, is geographically closer to Taiwan than the main island of Okinawa, and belongs to a subtropical region in terms of climate. The Tropical Agriculture Research Front (TARF), a research base of JIRCAS on Ishigaki Island, is the only Japanese agricultural research institute capable of conducting empirical research in the cultivation environment of tropical crops, and has a major mission to contribute to domestic and overseas agriculture. TARF is conducting research on mangoes and passion fruits with the aim of contributing to the promotion of tropical fruit tree production in both developing countries and Japan. Since these fruits are rich in nutrients such as vitamins and have high commercial value, research that leads to the development of excellent varieties is expected to benefit both domestic and overseas consumers and producers.
- Pick Up
The global food chain is being tested for its robustness and resilience when it comes to movement restrictions and urban blockades (lockdowns) due to the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19). In order for the international community to overcome the global food crisis, it is necessary to closely monitor the trends in international trade. The trade value of all agricultural products has tripled in face value from 2000 to 2018, and has almost doubled on a weight basis over the same period. Japan is the world’s third-largest cereal importer, and one of the reasons for a calorie-based food self-sufficiency rate of 37% is the heavy reliance on imported maize for livestock feed. The international rice trade from Asia to the Middle East and Africa is surprisingly large and the net per capita rice consumption of importing countries is even higher than Japan. In recent years, rice consumption in Africa has been increasing year by year due to urbanization and population growth, and agricultural technologies that contribute to continuous increase in yield and planted areas are the key to improving the self-sufficiency rate.
国立研究開発法人国際農林水産業研究センター, 広報JIRCAS. 11 ( )
国立研究開発法人国際農林水産業研究センター, 広報JIRCAS. 10 ( )
国立研究開発法人国際農林水産業研究センター熱帯・島嶼研究拠点, Manual and Guideline. ( )
国立研究開発法人国際農林水産業研究センター, 広報JIRCAS. 9 ( )
国立研究開発法人国際農林水産業研究センター, 広報JIRCAS. 8 ( )
[2019 Japan International Award for Young Agricultural Researchers (Japan Award)] Announcement of Awardees and 13th Commendation CeremonyRegistration period:-
Convention Hall 200, Tsukuba International Congress Center (Epochal Tsukuba)(Takezono 2-20-3, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0032, Japan)
3rd Research Network Meeting: Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Livestock
The 3rd International BNI Meeting 2018
ISSCT Joint Germplasm & Breeding and Molecular Biology Workshops
- Oxygenation of flooded paddy soil and inhibition of methane production through irrigation with water containing bulk oxygen nanobubbles(2019)
- Biological nitrification inhibition of sorghum is related to the inhibition of ammonia-oxidizing archaea(2019)
- Use of RNA interference to suppress gene expression of vitellogenesis-inhibiting hormone in the whiteleg shrimp, Litopenaeus vannamei(2019)
- Genetic diversity and characteristics of mango genetic resources in Japan(2019)
- “Ishigaki Sango,” a new variety of heat-tolerant dwarf papaya(2006)
- Suitable night temperature conditions for reducing the acidity content in winter-harvested passion fruit(2006)
- The importance of arachidonic acid in fry production of tropical/subtropical fish species(2003)
- Runoff of suspended solids, nitrogen and phosphorus estimated from catchment basins of Miyara River on Ishigaki Island(2003)
- Improved sugarcane cultivation in the subtropical islands of Japan using controlled-release N-fertilizers(2003)
- The relationship between the distribution of citrus psylla, the vector insect of citrus greening disease, and the distribution of jasmine orange(2001)