The research activities and achievements of the JIRCAS Asia Biomass Project were exhibited at the Agro Innovation 2020 (Organizer: Japan Management Association) held at the Tokyo Big Sight Aomi Exhibition Hall from November 11th (Wed) to 13th (Fri), 2020. The event was a specialized exhibition for cutting-edge technologies and products related to the entire value chain of the Japanese agricultural industry. Countermeasures against the new coronavirus infection such as temperature measurement, wearing a mask and disinfecting were thoroughly implemented at the exhibition hall.
- Pick Up
358. Development of Comprehensive Agricultural Technologies for Climate Change Mitigation and Adaption in Monsoon AsiaAgriculture is a major contributor to climate change through greenhouse gas emissions and is also a heavily impacted economic sector. There is a need to develop and disseminate mitigation technologies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture, as well as adaptation technologies to cope with extreme weather events such as droughts that are becoming more frequent with climate change. On the other hand, there is no ‘one-size-fits-all-solution’ for building sustainable agricultural production that is resilient to climate change, and it is extremely important to take into account the particularities of agricultural production in each country and region. In the project “Development of comprehensive agricultural technologies for climate change mitigation and adaption in Monsoon Asia”, we will develop and implement integrated climate change mitigation and adaptation technologies that will lead to behavioral change among farmers and contribute to the goals of the target countries in the Asian monsoon region.
- Pick Up
16. New Coronavirus Pandemic ― Significantly Slow Growth in Developing Countries in the Asia-Pacific Region
The World Bank has released an analysis showing that the economic growth rate of developing countries in the Asia-Pacific (EAP) region will slow down significantly from + 5.8% in 2019 to + 2.1 ~ 0.5% in 2020 due to the new coronavirus infectious disease (COVID-19). While tourism related services are expected to be the most severely affected, agricultural output is also projected to fall by around 3%. In addition, due to the high percentage of farmers in many countries in the EAP region, there are serious concerns that the income and health of small-scale farmers who have difficulty accessing public social security will be significantly affected. The World Bank is calling for bold national action and the need for deeper international cooperation.
- Pick Up
In Japan, rice improvement programs focus on developing varieties with good taste while well adapted to specific local climatic and weather conditions. Rice is also used as one of the staple crops Most of the poor regions of the world are concentrated in the tropics. On the other hand, the growing influence of global warming and increasing frequencies of extreme weather events in recent years have raised serious concerns of the deterioration of both rice quality and yield in the future. Aiming for stable rice production will greatly contribute to poverty alleviation and social stability in these regions, where Japan can play a strategic role to contribute to global food and nutrition security. JIRCAS is pursuing the conservation rice germplasms and breeding materials and development of a database, in order to contribute to the establishment of an international cooperation system for the conservation and use of rice genetic resources.
国立研究開発法人国際農林水産業研究センター, 広報JIRCAS. 7 ( )
大野芳和, 石原修二, 牛腸英夫, 大角泰夫, 濱村邦夫, 尾和尚人, 宮重俊一, 加藤清昭, 熱研資料. 86 ( )
志村英二, 秡川信弘, 熱研資料. 83 ( )
Dr. T. Morinaga, Dr. K. Ramiah, Dr. N. E. Jodon, Dr. S. Nagao, 熱研資料. 66 ( )
- Geographical diversity of the glutenin Glu-D1f allele (correlated with noodle-making quality) frequency in Asian common wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) and its transmission routes to Japan in common wheat(2004)
- Simulation analysis of food security using a food supply-demand model(1999)
- Elucidation of molting and reproductive mechanisms in the giant freshwater prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergii(1996)