522. Stamp Rally Quiz Challenge on International Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
The JIRCAS Open House 2022 is now accessible online until April 24 (Sun) at a special site (https://www.jircas.go.jp/ja/event/2022/openhouse). Today, we will introduce 2 activities, the "Stamp Rally Quiz” on international agriculture, forestry, and fisheries, and "360˚ Camera Video" from a researcher/animal's point of view.
JIRCAS is the sole national research institute that comprehensively conducts international agriculture, forestry, and fisheries research representing Japan, and plays a central role in those research areas in developing countries in the tropical and subtropical regions. In the mini lectures open to the public, JIRCAS researchers introduce their research activities in all fields of agriculture, forestry, and fisheries.
Every year, many people from elementary school students to adults, participate in various events of the JIRCAS Open House, which are designed for everyone to enjoy. The "Stamp Rally Quiz” and “360° Camera Video” introduced in this issue are examples of such activities.
Many of the crops, trees, and fisheries products that are the subject of JIRCAS research are unfamiliar to the general public. Also, many may not be familiar with international trends in agriculture, forestry and fisheries, or the current status of the world's agriculture, forestry, and fisheries industries. The purpose of the “Stamp Rally Quiz” is to introduce these topics in a quiz format and help everyone understand global issues in a fun and easy-to-understand way. In addition, the “360° Camera Video” introduces the life of local farmers as seen by researchers and the view from the animals' eyes.
In addition to the mini-lectures, we hope that everyone will enjoy our online Open House activities and become interested in learning more about the research conducted at JIRCAS.
- Palm Oil as the Base Resource for Eco-life in the Future (UKE Ayaka, Biological Resources and Post-harvest Division)
- Knowing Trees and Creating Forests - Challenges in Southeast Asia (KAWAI Kiyosada, Forestry Division)
- Increase Sea Cucumbers in the Oceans of the World ! (NAMBU Ryogen, Fisheries Division)）
- The Challenge of Increasing Rice Production in the Harsh Environment of Africa (TSUJIMOTO Yasuhiro, Crop,Livestock and Environment Division)
- Realizing Earth-friendly Agriculture Using the Power of Microorganisms (SARR Papa Saliou, Crop, Livestock and Environment Division)
- Earth’s Water is All Connected (OKA Naoko, Rural Development Division)
- The Diverse Rice Cultures of Asia (CHIEN Fumika, Social Sciences Division)
In addition, on April 24 (Sun) at 1:00 p.m., a live panel discussion will be held on the theme Changing Africa: Field Researchers' Views on Agriculture and Food in Africa.
JIRCAS Online Open House 2022
Stamp Rally Quiz
Contributor: KANAMORI Norihito (Information and Public Relations Office)