- Deadline of application
November 18, 2020 (Documents must be received by 17:00.)
The Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS) is now accepting applications for employment of a researcher.
In order to facilitate further advancement in research activities, JIRCAS is offering employment aimed at assigning core businesses of JIRCAS to a senior researcher with sufficient research experiences.
Available position and job description
|Recruitment no.||Research Division, Position, No. of positions||
Research description・ Research outputs ・Key words
3 (Crop cultivation and physiology, plant nutrition)
Crop, Livestock and Environment Division, 1 person
Overview of research activities
In order to achieve the food security and poverty reduction in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia, where food shortages are still serious, it is essential to develop stable crop production technologies according to the cultivation environment. In these regions, farmers' resource input such as fertilizers and pesticides are scarce, and the production base such as irrigation facilities is fragile. Therefore, it is necessary to develop a production technology that is not only efficient in the use of water and nutrients but also resilient to various environmental stresses. In addition, it is important to develop high-value-added production technology that meets consumer preferences and nutritional needs in order to improve income and nutrition especially in rural areas.
To tackle these issues, JIRCAS have been working on the development of rice cultivation techniques—the primary crop in the region—including improved fertilizer management practices, such as phosphorus dipping treatment and varieties, genetic resources that perform high productivity under unfavorable environments, and accumulation of functional metabolites under stress conditions of drought and salinity. Therefore, in order to realize the improvement of income and nutrients in these regions, we will not only improve the developed technologies for social implementation, but also develop new production technology that introduces legumes and vegetable cultivation as paddy field back crops. In addition, in South Asia, where market needs are diversifying, we will establish a production system for highly functional crops under unfavorable environments.
Therefore, we are recruiting a researcher who can work on field trials for development of crop production technology that enhance nutrient use efficiency and health functionality, and integration of research results as a production system to farmers for technical dissemination based on quantitative understanding of the cropping environments. The candidate researcher must satisfy the following requirements: (1) research experience and publications in developing crop production technologies desirable for the above-noted objectives; (2) leadership to supervise and manage field experiments in collaboration project with researchers and research institutes in partner countries; (3) numerous networks that can link research results to social implementation in cooperation with stakeholders such as farmers, governments, and private companies; and (4) readiness to demonstrate these abilities immediately after taking office.
Crop cultivation and physiology, nutrient circulation, technology dissemination
- The applicant must possess a doctoral degree or expected to receive the degree by March 2021.
- The applicant must possess sufficient academic background, experience and skills to pursue research in the intended post.
- The applicant must have sufficient Japanese language ability that would not interfere with daily work.
JIRCAS promotes gender equality in accordance with the Basic Act for Gender Equal Society, and strongly encourages qualified female researchers as well as non-Japanese researchers to apply (The applicant must have a resident status granting permission to work).
- Salary and benefits
The monthly salary (basic salary) is approximately JPY320,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience in accordance with the JIRCAS Staff Salary Regulations. Bonuses are paid twice a year in June and December. Allowances include family allowance, commuting allowance, residence allowance, overtime work allowance, regional allowance (if assigned in Tsukuba), and special area work allowance (if assigned in Ishigaki). The monthly salary and other benefits are subject to change in accordance with revision of regulations.
2. Day-off and leave
- Saturdays, Sundays
- Public holidays, yearend and new year holidays (Dec 29 – Jan 3)
- Annual paid leave: 15 days on recruitment (Apr 1, 2021)
- Others : sick leave, summer leave (3 days), nursing care leave (5 days), special leave (marriage, maternity, mourning)
3. Working hours
- Standard working time (8:30 am - 5:15 pm)
- Flextime system, discretionary working time system (need to apply)
4. Welfare benefits
- Health insurance and pension by MAFF mutual aid association
- Employment insurance, Workers’ accident compensation insurance
- Documents to submit
- Curriculum vitae (Form 1)
※ Use the prescribed form ( WORD (51KB).
※ Please make sure to indicate an email address for correspondence.
- Research achievements (Form 2)
※ Use the prescribed form ( WORD (33KB).
- Research plan and future career goals (one-page A4, free format)
- Copy of peer-reviewed publications with applicant as lead author (one copy each)
- Summary of previous research activities (one-page A4, free format)
- Recommendation letter (From current supervisor excluding JIRCAS staff. Submission is optional.)
- Curriculum vitae (Form 1)
- Send documents to
- Dr. Masayoshi Saito
Director, Research Planning and Partnership Division
Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS)
1-1 Ohwashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8686
- Deadline of application
- November 18, 2020 (Documents must be received by 17:00.)
※ Submission by mail attachment or electronic file will not be accepted.
※ Please note that incomplete documents, flawed documents, or wrong information will be excluded in the evaluation of the applicant.
- Selection process
- Screening of applicants based on submitted documents (end November 2020)
- Interview for selected applicants (middle December 2021)
※Place: JIRCAS Headquarters (1-1 Ohwashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki)
- Start of employment
- April 1, 2021 (tentative)
- For inquiries, please contact
- Dr. Masayoshi Saito (email@example.com)
Dr. Tomohide Sugino (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Other matters
- All expenses incurred in attending an interview will be borne by the applicant.
- All submitted documents will not be sent back to the applicant regardless of the result of the application.
- All correspondence will be done by email only.
- Handling personal data
- All submitted documents will be used only for the purpose of screening the applications, and not for any other purpose.
- Form 1 Curriculum vitae (Senior)
- 25.86 KB
- Form 2 Research Achievements (Senior)
- 40.5 KB