The year 2020 marks the 50th year since the Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS) was first established as the Tropical Agriculture Research Center (TARC) on June 10, 1970. As part of the celebration of this milestone, a commemorative logo has been created to be used throughout 2020.
- TARC was established with Headquarters in Kita-ku, Tokyo.
- Okinawa Subtropical Station (predecessor of Tropical Agriculture Research Front) was relocated to current location in Ishigaki City, Okinawa Prefecture.
- TARC Headquarters was transferred to Tsukuba City, Ibaraki Prefecture.
- TARC was reorganized as JIRCAS under the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
- JIRCAS was restructured as an Incorporated Administrative Agency (IAA) .
- JIRCAS was restructured as a National Research and Development Agency.
- This year marks the 50th Founding Anniversary of JIRCAS.