Yam Variety Identification Toolkit: Use case example
How Yam Variety Identification Toolkit can be used by users?
We are willing to support various activities of our expected users, yam researchers, seed growers and inspection officers, and extension officers who are involved in the various steps of yam improvement and dissemination.
In this page, some examples how our toolkit benefit users were indicated by the type of user to provide actual image of yam variety identification.
In yam improvement program
Having right parental materials in your crossing block is essential to conduct effective hybridization of breeding process. Howevar, there was no way to assure your stored tubers are from right material before seed tubers preparation or planting. "Yam Variety Identification Toolkit" enhances the efficiency of breeding process, through the assurance of parental lines at planting without waiting plant establishment.
Though conventional method using SSR markers can be employed for this purpose, the toolkit will enable you to confirm materials even before the preparation of your crossing brock with:
- “Hara’s DNA extraction method” which enable extracting DNA from tuber skin
- Nominated minimum set of SSR markers via “Minimum SSR marker finder for Guinea Yam”
- Assure the tuber is from right material without mechanical mixture of other materials before your seed tuber preparation.
- Reduce the risk for extra-workload and cost caused by the wrong materials.
- Ensure enough materials prepared in your crossing blocks.
In large-scale seed system
Quality and purity of produced seed tubers are critical for business sustainability of yam seed system. However, in large scale-scheem, there are risks of mechanical mixturein various steps of propergation caused by other varieties also produced in the same premisis.
"Yam Variety Identification Toolkit" provides the tools to moniter purity of your materials in various steps of propergation for effective quality control of produced seed tubers with:
- DNA extruction from both "leaf" and "tuber skin" materials to provide wider choise of tissue sampling.
- Nominated minimum set of SSR markers via “Minimum SSR marker finder for Guinea Yam”.
- Sample bulking method to reduce the cost of variety identifidation drastically.
- Assure the genetic purity of seed tubers produced with minimum cost and work which leads better credibility and higher price.
- Identification of the risk to improve the operation.
In the field inspection by dissemination officer
Through the inspection of the quality of propagated planting martials before distribution, the toolkit enhances the better productivity at farmers’ field.
There are more cases which Yam Variety Identification Toolkit benefit users.
Once we identify good example, those will be updated here.
If you have any new case example, plese communicate with us through our inquiry form. It will help other users.