High Level Policy Dialogue on Investment in Agricultural Research for Sustainable Development in the Asia-Pacific Region (Bangkok, Thailand, 8-9 December 2015)
The Asia-Pacific Association of Agricultural Research Institutions (APAARI) is an intra-regional and inter-institutional co-operation that promotes the development of National Agricultural Research System (NARS) in the Asia-Pacific region. It consists of national agricultural research centers, Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) centers and regional organizations in the Asia-Pacific region. JIRCAS is a regular member of APAARI, representing agricultural research institutes in Japan.
A High Level Policy Dialogue on Investment in Agricultural Research for Sustainable Development in the Asia-Pacific Region" is being organized by APAARI, in partnership with the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR), Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations-Regional Office for Asia-Pacific (FAO-RAP), Global Forum on Agricultural Research (GFAR) and International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), and with the major sponsorship from the Syngenta Foundation. The Dialogue will be held at Rama Gardens Hotel, in Bangkok, Thailand on 8-9 December, 2015.
The purpose of the Dialogue is to create awareness to promote long-term investment in agricultural research and innovations for sustainable development through appropriate policies and strategies, and to catalyze policy/decision makers, re-sensitize AR4D organizations, and create an environment for increased/ improved resource allocation and policy support for agricultural research and innovations for development (ARI4D) in the Asia-Pacific region. Please see the concept note, etc. at http://www.apaari.org/events/hlpd2015.html
The major focus of the Dialogue will be on awareness of the importance of AR4D; assessment of the current levels of capacities, disparities and trends in investment; importance of and need for enhanced and improved investments in AR4D; scoping and prioritization of AR4D areas for investment; promoting skills and capacities to attract, mobilize and utilize investments; realizing the need for paradigm shift from AR4D to ARI4D and research to knowledge; and innovative funding mechanisms to enhance/ improve investment.
An important additional feature of this Dialogue is the senior level participation from diverse stakeholder constituencies in both the public and private sectors at the national, regional and international levels. About 120 participants are expected to attend, which include ministers and other senior level policy makers; NARS leaders and international experts from CGIAR, IARCs, ARIs; representatives of CSOs (NGOs, FOs), foundations, funding and donor agencies, and private sector, innovative farmers, women and youth groups.
Interested individuals and organizations are encouraged to participate. They can register their interest by sending an email to Dr. Jawahar Karihaloo (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- 2015-12-8(Tue) - 2015-12-9(Wed)
Rama Gardens Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand
- Registration period
- JIRCAS Received Recognition Award at the Thailand National Science and Technology Fair 2022
- "Tropical crop genetic resources"Advancement of tropical crop genetic resources utilization through the development of database, technologies and research networking
- “Research applications/ventures”Practical application of global research results and establishment of a model platform for promoting private-sector research collaboration and creating new business ventures
- “Transboundary pest management”Development of environment-friendly management system against transboundary plant pests based on ecological characteristics
- "Ecosystem approach to aquaculture"Development and dissemination of sustainable aquaculture technologies in the tropical area based on the eco-system approach