JIRCAS Celebrates 50th Anniversary in 2020
As part of the celebration of this milestone, a commemorative logo has been created to be used throughout year. The logo is designed to symbolize a better future for our planet earth. The 2-colored circles represent the earth at sunrise symbolizing hope for the future of JIRCAS. In addition, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) color wheel icon is used as the number zero to show our commitment to contribute in achieving the United Nations’ SDGs.
This page will be updated as events unfold.
The Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS) was established in 1970 as the Tropical Agriculture Research Center under the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, and will celebrate its 50th anniversary this year (2020).
In the last 5 decades, JIRCAS has been conducting international joint research in the developing regions through interdisciplinary cooperation in the fields of agriculture, forestry and fisheries, and has contributeddirectly in solving the problems of partner countries and regions.
To commemorate the 50th anniversary of its foundation, JIRCAS will organize an international symposium to provide a forum for discussion of global issues that are expected to become more important in the future, priority areas for research and technology development, and the ideal way of pursuing research collaborations that will maximize results. A commemorative magazine that highlights our research achievements will also be issued this year.
JIRCAS 50th Anniversary Commemorative Symposium (JIRCAS International Symposium)
- JIRCAS 50th Anniversary International Symposium 2020 "The role of international collaboration in agricultural research to address challenges in the post-COVID-19 global food system" (Nov. 10 2020)
JIRCAS 50th Anniversary Commemorative Magazine
- TARC was established with Headquarters in Kita-ku, Tokyo.
- Okinawa Subtropical Station (predecessor of Tropical Agriculture Research Front) was relocated to current location in Ishigaki City, Okinawa Prefecture.
- TARC Headquarters was transferred to Tsukuba City, Ibaraki Prefecture.
- TARC was reorganized as JIRCAS under the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
- JIRCAS was restructured as an Incorporated Administrative Agency (IAA).
- JIRCAS was restructured as a National Research and Development Agency.
- JIRCAS 50th Founding Anniversary