Collection, analysis and dissemination of information for grasping trends of international agriculture, forestry and fisheries
The law stipulates that JIRCAS must conduct two major tasks: the first is “to collect, analyze and disseminate domestic and overseas data of the agricultural, forestry and fishery industries in developing regions” and the second is “to carry out technical trials, research and investigation for agriculture, forestry and fisheries in developing regions”.
The first task is very essential in providing useful information to national and international researchers or people concerned with the technological advances and economic development of the agricultural, forestry and fishery industries. It is also important in promoting high quality research in more efficient ways. Specifically, the following will be carried out during the 4th mid-term plan period:
- In order to solve international food and environmental problems, an analysis of the status quo and a forecast of world food supply/demand, nutrient condition and food systems will be conducted. The outcomes and impacts of our research outputs will be analyzed.
- In order to contribute to agricultural research and development and policy implementation like the Global Food Value Chain (GFVC) initiative, collaborations with related organizations in and out of the country will be promoted and JIRCAS researchers will be sent to target areas to continuously collect information and knowledge about international food, agriculture, forestry, fisheries, and rural development. These activities will be implemented in well-coordinated and systematic ways, and the collected information will be made widely available to researchers, administrative agencies, and companies both in Japan and overseas.
- In order to facilitate the systematic exchange of information among related organizations in Japan, the Japan Forum on International Agricultural Research for Sustainable Development (J-FARD) will be managed.
The quality and originality of information provided by Program D will be boosted through active interaction with the other three research programs and through effective use of the JIRCAS website and seminars.
Related JIRCAS Report
Dr. Marco Wopereis, director general of the World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg), visited JIRCAS on January 31, 2018 during his official trip to Japan.
On 19 January 2018, JIRCAS in cooperation with the World Agroforestry Center (ICRAF) and the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) held an international workshop on “Sustainable Rural Bioenergy Solutions in Africa” at the ICRAF International Conference Center in Nairobi, Kenya.
Event, Symposium, Workshop
place:ICRAF (Nairobi, Kenya)
place:U Thant International Hall, UNU (5-53-70, Jingu-mae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo)
Meeting Participation at the 26th World Outlook ConferenceThe World Outlook Conference for this year was held in Ireland at the Agriculture and Food Development Authority (Teagasc) in suburban Dublin from 8 to 9 June 2017. Dr. Jun Furuya, a senior researcher of the Social Sciences Division, attended the conference on behalf of JIRCAS.
- Meeting JIRCAS attends First Partners Meeting of the Initiative for Food and Nutrition Security in Africa (IFNA)
- Meeting The Wheat Initiative's Expert Working Group and Scientific Board Meeting
- Business Trip International Soil Conference, ISC2015
- JIRCAS liaison office Field Investigation in Burkina Faso
Business Trip Reports
|Report No.||Date||Country||Purpose||Related Program|
|H29-0003||2017-04-2017-12||タイ, ラオス||1）東南アジア連絡拠点業務 、2）炭素蓄積圃場試験・家畜飼養調査、3）後背丘陵地から水田への養分供給の把握||Information Analysis, Environment and Natural Resource Management, Value-adding Technologies|