TICAD7 MAFF Symposium: The Power of Boosting Africa for the Future of Food and Agriculture
As a side event of the 7thTokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD7), the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF) will hold a symposium on the future of food and agriculture in Africa, in cooperation with Japanese private enterprises and research institutions active in Africa.
JIRCAS will participate in the 3rd part of the symposium (16:45-19:15) entitled “Agricultural research collaboration on nutrition improvement in Africa”.
Participation is free of charge. Advance registration is recommended.
Details at https://ticad7-maff.com/
- Organized by
Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
- Pacifico Yokohama Annex Hall F205/206 (1-1-1 Minato Mirai, Nishi-ward, Yokohama)
【Session 1】13:15～14:45 Building a food value chain to enhance the rural areas in Africa
The rural areas in Africa have been regarded as an informal sector of the economy until now. However, in recent years, rural support through the establishment of food value chains has become more active. This session gives an overview of the rural villages in Africa.
【Session 2】15:00～16:30 Challenges of Agriculture in Africa: Irrigation and Beyond
In Africa, one in five people is said to be undernourished. In the future, the population of Africa is expected to increase further, and there is an urgent need to increase food production. This session addresses the challenges faced in the development of making irrigated agriculture in Africa and making it more productive.
【Session 3】16:45～19:15 Agricultural research collaborations for nutrition improvement in Africa
In rural Africa, improving nutrition as well as raising income is an urgent issue. The research collaborations of supported by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF),involving domestic and overseas research organizations and private enterprises will be introduced. The JIRCAS research initiatives on nutrition improvement in Madagascar will be presented by Dr. Yasu Tsujimoto and Dr. Sakiko Shiratori.
- Registration period
- “Digital agriculture”Towards the development of digital agriculture technologies in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Project Leader Tsujimoto Receives the 18th Japanese Society of Crop Science Best Paper Award
- 25. New Coronavirus Pandemic ― Food Security Crisis in East Africa: Urbanization and Structural Transformation of Agriculture
- 15. New Coronavirus Pandemic ― Impact on World Trade and Developing Countries Dependent on Commodity Crop Export
- 14. New Coronavirus Pandemic ― World Bank Bulletin: The first recession in Sub-Saharan Africa in 25 years